Prescriptions Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
From 1 April 2020, the charges are:
- current prescription charge – £9.35 per item
- three-month PPC – £30.25; this will save you money if you need more than three prescribed items in three months
- 12-month PPC – £108.10, this will save you money if you need more than 12 prescribed items in a year
- Wigs and fabric supports are available on the NHS, but patients will be charged for them unless they qualify for help with charges, further information can be found here.
Find out more about the prescription prepayment certificate.
If you need to access the services below, the medicines you're prescribed are free:
- medicines administered at a hospital or an NHS walk-in centre
- prescribed contraceptives
- medicines personally administered by a GP or provided via a patient group direction (PGD)
- medicines supplied at a hospital or clinical commissioning group (CCG) clinic for the treatment of a sexually transmitted infection, tuberculosis, or a mental disorder for those subject to a supervised community treatment order
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.